Thursday, January 5, 2012

Making a Mess to make progess

                 Why is it when you start digging in to clean things out, you make a BIGGER mess than what you started with?
                 On this Journey I realize why I just "STUFF" so many things in cabinets and closets and  anywhere I cant see it. Then BAM it overwhelms me and it all comes falling out at my feet OR Falls and Hits my in the head. Because I am so afraid that I will need it again or think OH well I can use it for this.... blah blah blah. Its really just an excuse to me  so I don't feel bad for throwing something out I MIGHT  NEED later.
               What is it with so many of us that  Makes us FEAR Throwing things out. Then I got to thinking about my Grandma.  She kept EVERYTHING. She washed and reused Zip lock bags,   reused  Saran Wrap, and  said  you never know when you will need it. She had  syrup bottles ( Back then they were Glass) and saved any jar she got b/c she might be able to use it canning.

               So we grew up keeping things b/c you could reuse it later.   Now I have realized the problem with this  TODAY is things are just mot made as  well and we have become such a disposable society it is just to easy to stick something up and  say" oh where did I put that? oh heck with it I will just get a new one" and guess what you do with THAT ONE?  Same thing and then before you know it you have  a bazillion of the same thing in 20 different places. 

                Ok and MISMATCHED Socks..... now here is a biggie WHY DO WE KEEP THEM??? I am talking about the few you have that is sitting there and has been for MONTHS. You have done all the laundry 4 times and never found the missing one. WHY KEEP IT? I have a bad habit of just throwing it in the dresser drawer with the others. I go to grab a pair and which one do I grab the one that DOESN'T have a match and hasn't for  5 months? Or you rip a sock and the other one is still okay so you keep it b/c what if I rip another sock I would then have a complete pair again.. Ok this is just insane thinking, I need to Get over it and just throw the  mismatched socks away after  doing laundry and realizing I have lost the match somewhere in our travels. and if I ruin one sock throw them both out.

                   I have also found myself jsut to get done with one project sticking things that I dont know what  I want to do with, in  another drawer that I have NOT done yet. Thinking I will deal with it later. Isn't that what got me into this  CLUTTERED house to begin with? I need to tell myself that I will only touch it ONCE. If I dont know what to do with it then I obviously Don't NEED it and should get rid of it.  So as a new rule I can NOT stick ANYTHING ANYWHERE just because I am not SURE. If I  dont know it goes in the trash. 

               What I have realized as I do this Is I LOVE getting things Decluttered.  I love to sit back and look and HAVE space to put things up where they belong and Not have my counters full of things. I love having a bedroom again b/c that was the catchall. I can walk into it and not feel like I want to walk right back out. I have my bedroom back and I am EXCITED. =)   So even  if I feel overwhelmed as I do this, I will keep at it. I will Keep making DISASTERS in my house so  I Can dig this  accumulated junk  out and get rid of it.  I have warned those who stop by My house could be condemned at times when I  am in the middle of a  Throw it all away project. But the END product WILL  be worth it. I just have to KEEP telling myself this.

No comments:

Post a Comment